As Christians and United Methodists, we believe the following:
- There is but one living and true God. In the unity of this Godhead there are three persons, of one substance, power, and eternity—the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
- Jesus is the only Son of God, eternally begotten of the Father. He was both fully divine and fully human. He lived our lives, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died and was buried.
- Christ did truly rise from the dead. He sits at the right hand of the Father and will come again to judge the living and the dead.
- The Holy Scripture contained within the Old Testament and New Testament contains all things necessary to salvation. It is the inspired Word of God.
- Humanity is sinful, and we fall short of God’s glory. We all sin, and yet God’s love for us is unending. God’s love redeems us and makes us new.
- God sent His only Son Jesus Christ as the perfect example of God’s love, to teach us, to heal us, to offer us hope, to die and to rise again so that we might have new and abundant life in His name.
- The Holy Spirit is the Lord and giver of life, who spoke through the prophets, and continues to work through God’s people to build up the Kingdom of God.
- The Kingdom of God is at hand. God’s kingdom is not only some heaven far away, waiting for us after death. As we follow Jesus and His teachings, empowered by the Holy Spirit we live further into God’s kingdom where God’s will is done on earth as it is in heaven.
These beliefs are based on the United Methodist Articles of belief, the Nicene Creed and the Lord’s prayer, as taught by Jesus Christ. For further information on the United Methodist Church, please visit www.umc.org .